Links on Tech Countless may earn us a commission. Learn more
If you have purchased a new laptop and want to check its battery health, this article will teach you an accurate approach to do it.
How to Find Laptop Battery Health Accurately
1. Open CMD and type the following command: powercfg /batteryreport and click enter.
2. Once you’ve got the report path, copy it and paste it into any web browser.
3. Consider the following two options:
- The total amount of energy that your laptop battery is intended to hold when it is brand-new is expressed as designed capacity (in mWh).
- Total energy provided by your laptop battery at 100% charge (measured in mWh) is called the full charge capacity.
4. Launch the Calculator application in Windows and carry out the following calculation:
Laptop battery health is calculated as (Full Charge Capacity / Designed Capacity) * 100.
In my case, the health of my laptop battery is 99.46%.
Although there are various ways to verify the health of a laptop battery, such as batteryviewinfo, the approaches mentioned above are more trustworthy and accurate.
After determining battery health, the next question is what defines good battery health. For this, see the chart below.
Chart of Laptop Battery Health
|Battery Health in %||Condition|
|90 & Above||Excellent|
|80 to 89||Best|
|70 to 79||Good|
|60 to 69||Above Average|
|50 to 59||Average|
|40 to 49||Below Average|
|30 to 39||Not Bad|
|20 to 29||Really Bad|
|10 to 19||Worst|
|0 to 9||Not Usable|
Also Read: Best Ways to Check Battery Health in Android
Laptop Charging Tips to Extend Battery Life
- Use software features such as conservation mode. If you have a Lenovo laptop, this mode only charges battery about 55-60%, and for other brands, you can look into similar possibilities or use the 80/20 rule:
- Only charge your laptop to about 80% capacity.
- Charge it before it falls below 20%.
- If you play a lot of video games, use a cooling pad and a laptop stand for regular tasks like web surfing and video watching.
- Start charging your laptop while gaming to improve power and performance and reduce the strain on your battery.
- You do not need to keep your laptop charging when doing simple tasks like browsing at pictures or writing documents.
Comment below with your laptop battery health score and condition so that others can compare.