Links on Tech Countless may earn us a commission. Learn more
There are a few things you can do to ensure that your SIM and its details remain as secure as possible in case it gets out of hand. A good lock password is a good start. What you may not realize is that there is a way to take that security one step further by enabling SIM lock.
4 Tips To Fix Slow Samsung Phone Is...Video: 4 Tips To Fix Slow Samsung Phone Issue! ☹️What is Sim Card lock in Android and iOS?
It’s a basic security feature for securing your SIM Card. After enabling it, your phone will ask you for a special SIM PIN every time you start it up; without it, you won’t be able to make calls, send texts, or use the device’s data plan.
This will be the case even when you insert the sim into a new phone. It will be required to enter the pin there as well. So, Nobody can’t access your SIM card or its valuable data without the SIM Pin.
What are the benefits of the SIM Card lock?
As I mentioned, Sim Card lock is basically the password for your sim card. So you are going to get the benefits of security. Every time you restart your phone or insert your sim to a new device, you will be required to enter the PIN to use the SIM. And this could be a lifesaver sometimes.
Even if you lose your phone somehow, the person finding your phone won’t be able to use the SIM card. So it’s always better to use the SIM card lock.
Note: If you have two SIMs, you need to set up a PIN for them individually.
How to set up a SIM card lock in Android?
To do the setup sim card lock for Android simply follow these steps:
- The first thing you should do is jump to the Settings menu.
- Then, click on Security and lock.
- In this, scroll down and click Privacy and lock.
- Here you will find your sim having options like Lock sim card and Change SIM PIN.
- To setup up SIM card lock you have to enable the “Lock Sim Card” Option.
- Then, You simply have to enter the default SIM card PIN.
- Next, you can change the SIM PIN according to your choice. Simply click on Change SIM PIN.
- Here you have entered a new SIM PIN and confirm it.
Make it hard to guess, but easy to remember (may be different from your normal lock screen PIN). If you forget it, you will only have three tries to get it right before your SIM card is ready!
After confirming the new PIN, the phone will require both the current lock screen security entry and the locked SIM card to be installed before it can be used.
How to get the default SIM sim card PIN?
For every SIM operator, the default PIN is different. If it doesn’t work, you have to contact the SIM operators’ helpline. This can be done by calling 198 using the sim card that you want to lock. You can simply ask them for the default SIM card lock PIN.
You only get 3 attempts to type the default PIN. When you are 3 consecutive times, it may then ask you for PUK and other stuff which can really get messy and is always a hassle to deal with.
How to change the SIM PIN?
After you have entered the default SIM PIN, you can see that there’s an option enabled, called the “Change SIM PIN”. You have to click on it.
Here, you have to enter a new SIM card lock PIN which you have to remember and use in the future. After setting up your PIN, you are done. You have successfully locked your SIM card with a PIN.
Now, if you have a second SIM, you have to manually configure for that SIM as well, using the same steps I mentioned above. You can use the same PIN or a different one, it is totally up to you. It is strongly advised to remember your PIN. Also, you can save your PIN on any password manager app.
Pro tip: It is advised to use the same PIN for both the SIMs if you have a dual SIM. This will make it easier for you to remember and will prevent any confusion.
How to set up SIM card lock on iPhone and iPad
The process is very similar to iOS devices as well.
- You first need to go to the settings and tap “Phone”.
- Then click on the “SIM PIN” to activate access to this function. And now touch “SIM PIN” to activate it.
- Just like in android, you will be asked to enter the default PIN. You can get the PIN by calling 198 and asking the executive. (198 is for India. The customer care number may change according to your country)
- Once you enter the correct default PIN, your SIM PIN will now be active. Now you still need to change it to your own PIN as you obviously don’t want it to be the default.
- Touch “Change PIN”.
- First, you will again need to enter the current PIN, which should still be the default.
- Next, you must enter and confirm your new PIN.
You are done now.
How to disable the SIM card lock
Now, if you want to disable your SIM card lock, here is how you can do that.
- Access your Android settings and look for the ” Security ” option.
- Choose SIM-Lock
- Press the ” Lock SIM card ” selector to remove the lock.
- The system will ask you to insert the pin of the card. It will be the last time you do it.
- Once this is done, the mobile will no longer ask you for the card pin every time you restart the smartphone.
What to do if your SIM card is locked and you forget the PIN or how to unlock the SIM PIN
It is important to note that you don’t need to try to guess blindly because if you don’t get it right within three tries, your SIM card will be disabled. It will be more complicated later to unlock. So, here’s what you can do instead.
The first thing you have to do is to reach the helpline of your operator. You need to make sure that the sim you are using to reach the helpline should be the same as the SIM you forgot the PIN of.
For example, if you were using the Jio SIM in your phone and you forgot the PIN of it, then you need to find another Jio sim and call 198 to reach the helpline.
- Once you dial 198 (or any other customer care number) using a different SIM, you have to choose the ‘DO NOT DISTURB’ option.
- There, you can find an option called PUK. (PIN Unblocking Key)
- Next, you have to fill in some of the details like your phone number (which is locked), birthdate, etc.
- Now, you can see a PUK number which you can use to unlock the SIM.
- PUK or PIN Unblocking Key is basically like the backup key for the SIM card lock when you forget the PIN.
You can also get this PUK code by reaching out to customer service. Once you have the PUK, the process is the same as above.
What happens if you lock your SIM card?
When you lock your SIM card, no one else will be able to use it if they don’t know the PIN. Also, every time you restart your Phone, you need to enter the SIM card PIN to activate it.
What to do if your sim is locked?
If your SIM card is locked and you forget the Code, you can contact your service provider and ask for the PUK and further assistance.
Can I unlock my SIM card?
Yes, it is possible to unlock the SIM card. I have mentioned above the steps which you can follow to unlock it.
In this article, I have mentioned all about what is Sim Card Lock and how to ensure that your SIM and its details remain as secure as possible in case it gets out of hand, and that’s why you shouldn’t mess with it if you know nothing about it.
I hope you like my article if you have any doubts feel free to drop a comment in the comment section.