Links on Tech Countless may earn us a commission. Learn more
Have you ever noticed that sometimes the folder looks empty but still occupies some space when you check? This is caused because there are some hidden files that your PC isn’t showing you. Typically, these items are hidden to avoid any clutter and also prevent accidental deletion of some files that can cause errors in the OS.
There are various ways to see hidden files on a Windows PC. So, in this article, I am going to tell you about the easy ways to see hidden files on your Windows 10 PC. So, let’s get straight to our topic.
6 Useful & Best Apps For Window...Video: 6 Useful & Best Apps For Windows Laptop And PC1. Show Hidden Files Using File Explorer
This is an easy way to see hidden files. Mentioned below are the steps you have to follow.
- Open the file explorer on your Windows PC. In windows 10, it goes by the name “This PC”
- Click on the View tab which is present at the top of the window.
- From the “Show/hide” section, make sure the “Hidden items” check box has a tick on it.
Once done, you’ll be able to see hidden files on your PC now.
2. Using Control Panel
This is an alternate and easy way to see hidden files on your Windows PC. Here are the steps to follow.
- On the search bar of your windows, type “Control Panel“, left-click on the app to open it.
- Click on the “Appearance and Personalization” section.
- Now click on “File explorer options“
- From the popup windows, choose the “View tab“.
- Scroll down to see an option “hidden files and folders“
- Under that, click on the radio button “Show hidden files, folders and drives“
- After that click on “Apply” and then “Ok”
Now you’ll be able to see hidden files and folders in files explorer.
3. Using Command Prompt
This is a simple method to show hidden files with only one command. Follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Type “cmd” in the section box of the windows.
- Right-click the command prompt app and choose “Run as administrator“
- Now type “dir /adh” and hit enter
This command will enable the PC to show hidden files and folders without making any changes to the File Explorer settings.
4. Using Windows Powershell
This method is very similar to the command prompt method I discussed above. Here are the steps.
- Type “Powershell” in the section box of the windows.
- Right-click on the “Windows Powershell” app and choose “Run as administrator“
- Type “dir -Force” and hit enter
Within a few seconds, it will execute the command and you’ll be able to see hidden files and folders on your PC without changing settings in the file explorer.
5. Using Registry Edit
This is a little complicated method, so I won’t recommend this to the new users. Here are the steps you have to follow.
- Press the Windows key + R using your keyboard and it will open the Windows Run app.
- Type “Regedit” and hit enter in the Run app.
- Go to the location HKEY_CURRENT_USER: >Software: >Microsoft: >Windows: >Current Version: > Explorer: > Advanced
- On the right side of the panel, you’ll see an option called “Hidden“.
- Right-click on it and select “Modify“
- On the popup windows, under the “Value data” section, you have to type “1” and hit “Ok“
Value 1 will show you hidden files and folders, and value 2 will hide them.
How do you find hidden folders?
You have to go to the file explorer in your windows, from the toolbar click on View, and tick on hidden items to find hidden folders.
How can I hide my personal files and folders on the company computer?
To hide your files, right-click on the files, click on properties and then tick on the box where “Hidden” is written. Now your file has been hidden. For an extra level of security, you can go to advanced options from the properties and click on Encrypt contents to secure data” checkbox, and choose a password to access the file or folder.