Links on Tech Countless may earn us a commission. Learn more
Sometimes your Chrome browser may become slow, or show you unwanted advertisements, and the only option you will be left with is resetting Chrome. Google Chrome has this option in settings, but not many people know about it, and they end up uninstalling and reinstalling the app.
So, if you want to learn about how you can reset your Chrome browser, then this article is just for you. Stick till the end to find out how you can reset the Chrome browser on your PC. Let’s get started.
4 Tips To Fix Slow Samsung Phone Is...Video: 4 Tips To Fix Slow Samsung Phone Issue! ☹️What Happens When You Reset
Before resetting, you must know what data you may lose and what not. Here’s what happens when you reset the Chrome
- All extensions and themes are disabled
- The home button is disabled, you can enable that in settings again.
- The URLs you have saved on the homepage are deleted.
The default search engine is set as Google.
- Custom startup tabs and shortcuts are deleted.
- It will delete all your cookies, cache, browsing history, and other site data.
So, now that you know what will happen when you reset the Chrome browser, let’s move on to the process of how you can do it.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to reset the Chrome:
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click on the three vertical dots on the top right of the Window.
- Now to go Settings > Advanced
- Select “Restore settings to their original defaults” which is the first option.
- A confirmation dialog box will appear. To continue select “Reset settings”
- It will take a few seconds and the resetting process will finish.
And it is done. I recommend restarting the Chrome app to avoid any errors.
Note: Before resetting, on the last dialog box, you can unselect “Help make Chrome better by reporting the current settings”. If you don’t do this, your settings and preferences like the default search engine, the home page shortcuts, and a few other things will be shared with Google. So, if you care about privacy, you can unselect it and it won’t make a difference for you.
Does resetting Chrome Remove history?
Yes. You will lose your browsing history when you reset Chrome.
Will I lose the extensions if I reset Chrome?
No. The extensions are only disabled and you won’t lose them. Though you have to sign in again to them if required.