Links on Tech Countless may earn us a commission. Learn more
When managing files, some people have noticed that there is a folder on the SD card called LOST.DIR with unknown files. But do you know how you can recover the DIR folder and its files? Today, I am going to tell you about the 6 ways for LOST.DIR File Recovery using your android and PC.
LOST.DIR is just like a recycle bin that allows you to recover the lost or deleted data. You can extract the Lost.dir lost files or directory in Android with the help of the ways that I have provided in the article to fix lost.dir file recovery.
1. Using the Android phone’s file manager
The best way to recover or repair the LOST.DIR folder on android is simply by renaming the files and by adding an extension to the files. Files need to have an extension so that the operating system can identify it.
- So, simply rename the files you see by adding .MP4 in the end and see if your device can play it. If it can, then simply move them to any other folder.
- Now, for the remaining files, you can add the extension. JPG, which is an image extension. If you can open the files and see the images, again move them to another folder.
- Again, you can try the extension .MP3 for the remaining files, which is a music extension.
- Do the same for other files as well. This process can become easier and time-saving if you know what kind of file is there in the folder.
2. Using Android Data Recovery apps
As you might, there are several data recovery apps in the play store. So, simply search ‘data recovery’ in the play store and install the ones you see with good ratings and reviews.
No recovery application can 100% recover your files. So, you can try a few to find out which ones are best for you and see if you could recover the files that you wanted. This is the most preferred method if you don’t have any PC and you want to recover using your android.
3. How To Recover LOST.DIR files
If you have a PC, then you can try this method. This one is quite similar to what we did in the 1st method, but we will be using the PC this time.
- So, you can do this by simply copying the entire LOST.DIR folder to your PC.
- Once you have it, open that folder and you can see unknown files with no extension. So, simply right click on the files and choose rename.
- Now you have to try different extensions like, .MP4, .MP3, .JPG, and others and see what works for your files.
- You have to check each file by double on the files or by right-clicking and choosing ‘Play’ or ‘Open’.
- It will play the files if you have put the right extensions for it. If not, then try out other media extensions.
- Move the files to another folder if they play and repeat the same for other files as well.
You can also make this method faster by simply selecting all using CTRL+A and adding an extension on the 1st file in the list only. This will automatically add the same extension to all the other files.
4. Using Recuva data recovery software
If you think you had important media files on your SD card then you try out 3rd party applications on your PC and scan the LOST.DIR folder with it. It is good for data recovery and does it quite effectively without having you to do much effort.
This application is free to download and will work on external storage as well.
- So, insert the SD card into your laptop and complete the Recuva setup wizard.
- In the Recuva application, select ‘All files’ in the File type option.
- On the next page, select ‘In a specific location’ and choose your pen drive or SD card that you have inserted. Next, click on Next.
- On the next page, you have to tick the box which says ‘Enable deep scan’ and click in Next. It will deep scan the SD card and recover all the possible files.
- Click on Start and it will begin the process. When done, it will list all the files that it can recover with status or recovery.
- So, select the ones with green status or recovery and choose Recover.
- You have to choose the location where you want to save them.
5. Recover LOST.DIR data using iCare
This is another efficient data recovery software and would work great for lost.dir file recovery. The usage is quite simple and easy.
- When you open the tool, you can see the windows where you will be asked to select the scan mode. Select Deleted files recovery if you want to recover deleted ones. Or click the advanced file recovery option if you want to repair some lost files.
- Now you have to select the drive from where you want to recover your files. And then you have to click on ‘Next’
- iCare will start the process of recovering your data. You can see the info in the new window.
- When the process completes, you will see a list of all the files. You can also see a preview of them.
- Select them manually and click or “Select All’ from the window and choose to save the files.
6. Recover LOST.DIR data using Recoverit data recovery software
This is probably one of the best data recovery tools today. But if you are using the free version of recoverit, you can be able to recover up to 100MB only. So, if your files were really important, then using the following process:
- Open the tool and choose the location to be scanned and click on ‘Start’.
- It will start to perform a quick scan and will show us a preview of some files.
- If you cannot find your lost files, you can try the “Advanced recovery” option located in the bottom left of the screen for a deeper search.
- You just have to select the desired files and click on the “Recover” button to make them play again.
Lost.DIR file recovery FAQs
Can I delete LOST.DIR on the SD card?
LOST.DIR contains files that are corrupted for some reason. So, if you are sure that there are no important files in that folder, you can delete the folder.
What does LOST.DIR mean on my SD card?
The LOST.DIR folder contains many unknown corrupted files. LOST.DIR is used to prevent files from losing in accidents.
You can extract the Lost.DIR lost files or directories in Android with the help of the ways that I have provided in the article.
So, if you are one of the users who face an issue like Lost.DIR file recovery in the system and eventually if any of these methods worked for you then do share it with your friends and family.