Links on Tech Countless may earn us a commission. Learn more
Grammarly is probably the most used tool for spell checking, grammar checking, and plagiarism checking. Its AI-powered writing assistant helps you write clearly with no mistakes. But it comes with some restrictions in its free plan, and most of us don’t want to pay a hefty price for a premium.
Grammarly also might not seem to work with all of your apps/websites. For instance, it is still in the Beta version for Google Docs and doesn’t work accurately every time. So, in this article, I am going to talk about the free and best alternatives for Grammarly.
ProWritingAid is a grammar checker, spelling checker, plagiarism checker, and editor that can considerably enhance your writing skills. This tool acts as a mentor and will check and guide you when you are writing something. It also suggests better words, increasing your vocab skills as well.
The best thing is that it integrates with most of the platforms, including Google Docs. It is a professional writing tool used by many authors, bloggers, content writers, and students. It looks and feels so simple that you won’t even know you’re using a third-party tool. All the options are nicely labeled to avoid clutter.
- In-depth 20 kinds of reports and deep analysis of your writings.
- Accurately suggests words and a huge library of vocab.
- Can integrate with tools like Google Docs, Microsoft suite, Apache Open Office, etc
- Finds repetition of words, sentence lengths, style suggestions, etc.
Sapling is another great grammar checker and writing assistant which emphasizes the writers’ writing style. It comes with so many features like a grammar checker, spell checker, and more. But what I love most is that it learns from your actions. As this is an AI-powered tool, it learns and adapts to the writing style of the users and guides accordingly.
You can integrate it with your browser using a browser extension and it will work on all the websites you will visit, including Google Docs, Gmail, and more. This can seriously improve your writing and English language skills. All of these make Sapling one of the best alternatives to Grammarly.
- Extension available for Edge, Chrome and Firefox browsers
- Support for Google Docs, Google Slides, and Microsoft Outlook
- You can quick-edit your content
- Smart AI which adapts to your writing style
- Easy to understand and use.
PaperRater is an online tool that has been there for a long time now. This was originally developed for the students to analyze their papers and review them. But later it seemed overpowered and adapted in all of the professional works. PaperRater is fast and accurate. And the best thing? It’s totally free.
It has a strong algorithm that can check your writing and find grammar and spelling mistakes. Its proofreading feature will suggest to you how you can improve your writing skills. This tool is also powered by AI and gives you results in just a few seconds. Overall, this is a great tool for anyone, from a student to an author.
- The AI-powered tool which gives accurate and fast results
- Plagiarism checker provides you details of plagiarism if any.
- A huge library of vocabulary offers so many different words, sentences that can improve your writing skills.
- Automatically rates your content and gives you suggestions to improve.
Ginger is a great tool, developed in Israel and it’s quite helpful in developing English writing skills. It also helps you boost your productivity levels because this tool is so well designed. It used patent-pending technology to check and suggest you the changes. It has a chrome extension as well so that you can use it effectively with your Google Docs and other such platforms.
But what I love the most is that you can get the meaning of words by double-clicking on them, after installing the browser extension. It lacks a plagiarism checker, something that is typically present in most tools today. But overall, it is still a really great tool for grammar and spell-checks. A must-try tool nevertheless.
- Has a Sentence Rephraser tool to help you write new and unique content.
- Dictionary for quick lookup and auto spell-check.
- Available for Windows, Mac, Chrome, Safari, iOS, and Android.
- Comprehensive proofreading tools
The Hemingway App lightens up your work by removing the dead weight from your content by displaying wordy sentences in yellow and more egregious ones in red. It helps you to keep your writing simple, with great clarity by highlighting adverbs, passive voices, and complicated sentences.
It indicates adverbs, passive voices, and complicated sentences, making it easier for the user to identify and redo the work. This feature is especially good for people who write SEO content for blogs. Nevertheless, it is a really great alternative to Grammarly which hugely improves your writing skills.
- With just one click you can format your writing.
- WordPress and Medium-like platforms are integrated so you can directly share your work with a single click
- Easily export your work to external editors
- Easy-to-use interface
- Has Browser integration for fast and easy usage
Is Grammarly paid?
Grammarly is a free-to-use tool but it has some restrictions in the free version. For the full-fledged version, you have to pay for the premium.
What are the best grammar correction tools?
The best grammar correction tools are Grammarly, ProWritingAid, Hemingway, and Sapling.