Links on TECHCountless may earn us a commission. Learn more
Your default profile picture that was assigned to you by Windows doesn’t suit you and you want to change it? For every newly created user account, Windows assigns a general portrait. You can change the picture to something more reflective of your personality. You can snap a photo with your computer’s webcam or choose any photo in your Pictures folder.
There are two ways to change your profile picture depending on whether you are willing to change profile picture in a Local Account or Microsoft Account. Changing profile picture on Microsoft Account won’t only change the picture of your computer but also every device using your Microsoft account.
1. In Local Account
To change your user account’s picture,
- Go to the Start menu.
- Click your picture in the screen’s top-right corner.
- When the menu drops down, choose Change Account Settings. Windows presents the screen shown here.
- Click on Your Info option from the left side of the screen.
- If you have a picture already on your computer, click the Browse button. A new window appears, showing photos in your Pictures folder. Click the desired picture and click the Choose Picture button.
Or you can try these steps:
- If you have a camera attached to your computer, you can take a quick selfie for your account photo.
- Using any one of these two options will change your profile picture in Local Account of Windows.
2. In Microsoft Account
When using a Microsoft account, you can still update your profile picture from the Settings menu. Keep using the process mentioned above. Alternatively, you can use the Microsoft account website to change your picture from wherever you are, even without access to your PC.
Irrespective of the method you use, the change will apply across all Microsoft services where your profile picture is displayed. It might be a little while before all sites and devices display the new picture.
- Log in at your account in Microsoft’s website.
- Click on Your info at the top of the page.
- Click the Change photo button to begin the selection process.
- A basic editor will appear on your screen that lets you crop your new or existing photo.
- Press the Add a photo button to select a different image from your computer. You can then crop and resize it as you see fit.
Once you save the changes, the new profile picture should be applied to all your Windows devices. It will also show up within Microsoft online services, such as Outlook and Office.
Also Read: Best Ways to Change Username in Windows
How do I remove my account picture from Windows 10?
Open File Explorer and type C:\users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccoutPictures
(Replace username with your account name).
Now you can delete the account picture you no longer want to use.
(Note: If you are unable to view the Appdata folder then go to View and select Show hidden files options.)
How can I customize my lock screen in Windows?
Go to Personalization in the Settings menu, then select Lock Screen. From here you will be able to fully customize your lock screen by changing background images and selecting applications to show status on the lock screen.